tawnithebookworms

Tawni @ The Book Worms

I am the book blogger and reviewer at THE BOOK WORMS. I've been reading ever since I remember, but it was most recently that I discovered my real love for stories. I'm a book nerd and computer geek :)

The Queen Bee of Bridgeton

The Queen Bee of Bridgeton - Leslie DuBois I absolutely loved this book! It was a refreshing and beautiful read. I previously read Priscilla the Great and loved it, so I had high expectations for The Queen Bee of Bridgeton. I caught myself laughing out loud, crying, and in shock of the twists and turns in the story. Sonya Garrison’s life is on repeat with dance, school, dance, and more dance. Her dream is to be the next big ballerina and she works so hard at that dream and is afraid of any distractions. Especially dangerous distractions in her neighborhood of Venton Heights. Although Sonya loves to dance, she feels as if she’s failing in comparison to her brilliant sister Sasha. To her, things for Sasha seem to always run smoothly. Sonya has heard a rumor around school, that for generations, The Queen Bee title has been passed down behind the scenes at Bridgeton Academy. Never did she think it would be true until she catches the eye of the star, white basketball player, Will Maddox. Will is weird and creepily honest with Sonya and first, but when Sonya gives him a chance she ends up falling in love with Will. To be honest, I expected the novel to be more about Sonya learning to overcome a racial relationship issue. The best part about this story was that Sonya just wanted a place to belong and NOT to Venton Heights’ dangerous schemes and deals around the streets. She knows she doesn’t belong there and just wants to make it out alive. I really enjoyed Sonya’s character and personality. She was funny, kind, beautiful, hard-working, and smart and she just gets better after falling for Will. This story has so many heart-wrenching, good and bad, situations and I was constantly hoping for all to work out and rooting for Sonya. Not to mention I was constantly on edge, because of the insane drama going down with The (psycho) Queen Bees at school! Overall this story was perfect. A fantastic novel about finding a place and how love, no matter who it is with, can change your life. Leslie DuBois’s writing was crisp and clear and hooked me from the beginning. I recommend this novel to anyone and I guarantee you won’t be sorry you picked it up!