tawnithebookworms

Tawni @ The Book Worms

I am the book blogger and reviewer at THE BOOK WORMS. I've been reading ever since I remember, but it was most recently that I discovered my real love for stories. I'm a book nerd and computer geek :)

Masque of the Red Death

Masque of the Red Death - Bethany Griffin Jumping into Masque of the Red Death was really exciting! It was a whole new world and concept and I couldn’t wait to learn more about it. I had never read this story from Edgar Allan Poe, so its impossible for me to align the two. However, I do believe Griffin wove her own magic throughout the concept of the original story. Araby is trying to ward off the ever impending disease by spending nights at the Debauchery Club, a way for the elite to stay off of the streets. She ends up finding herself in more trouble -emotionally- when she meets Will and Elliot. But when the Prince notices Elliots interest in Araby, she’s thrown into a web of secrets that has been kept from her and she struggles to do the right thing. Araby was a unique character and I really loved her right from the start. She’s strong, but also very emotional and I was able to build a connection to her. She’s torn between doing the right thing and keeping herself alive and well, which is totally understandable if anyone lived in a world such as hers. The romance was bittersweet, because there’s Elliot and then there’s Will. Elliot is kind of a tough nut to crack and he knows how to rub Araby the wrong way. And Will is more of a caring person and Araby has a soft spot for his situation and his charming nature. I have to admit, it’s hard to side with just one of them. They each had qualities and little quirks that I adored! Griffin creates a grim world that will seep under your skin. A world where disease obliterated a large portion of the population. Reading about the side effects of the disease and the way people get around it was fascinating and so gross, yet, I never wanted to put it down. It was THAT good! Griffin paints a detailed picture of the fashions and architecture that still remain in the cities and towns Araby crosses and I was left in awe. I would highly recommend Masque of the Red Death to anyone interested in dystopian or steampunk, however keep in mind that its a very dark world. It was truly an amazing read that stands out among the rest and left me crossing my fingers that there may be more!! For those who like: Dark and creepy reads, romance, dystopian, steampunk Source: Publisher (ARC)