tawnithebookworms

Tawni @ The Book Worms

I am the book blogger and reviewer at THE BOOK WORMS. I've been reading ever since I remember, but it was most recently that I discovered my real love for stories. I'm a book nerd and computer geek :)

The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games  - Suzanne  Collins What can I say? The Hunger Games is epic! I absolutely loved this book. The story is so intense you feel as if you are part of it all. I don’t think there was a time where I wanted to put it down! The Hunger Games starts off by introducing us to a family who lives in the very hungry District 12 that lies in the nation of Panem. The main character, Katniss Everdeen (a hunter and gatherer), is an independent girl who has taken the responsibility of caring for her family. Katniss, I feel, was the perfect character. I loved that she was independent, but not hard, as she cares deeply for her family and her best friend Gale. I could 100% relate to her (minus the hunting ;) ) and she is a perfect example of what it’s like to be strong and have the will to survive. Each district has a reaping in which names are picked at random. Those called are hauled off to be one of the contestants for the Capitol’s Hunger Games, a national TV show, in which each contestant fights to the death to be the last one standing! When Katniss’ younger sister Prim is called at the reaping, Katniss acts upon impulse to protect her sister and take her place in the games Hide Spoiler Alongside Katniss fights Peeta Mallark, the boy who had helped her once before. Although they are not friends, there is a connection, but all seems lost when the Hunger Games begin. (This is just a tiny spoiler, nothing big!) Peeta is a heck of a guy and quite likable. I liked him from the beginning, where we learn about Katniss’ first encounter with him. The way Suzanne Collins describes him doesn’t make him this amazing, out of this world kind of guy. Peeta is a ordinary boy, who just like Katniss, regards the games as a death sentence, but also has the will power to survive. I had hope for both characters throughout this book and I couldn’t fathom what would happen next! That is why The Hunger Games kept me on edge at all times and it was just fantastic! It is a little violent at times, but not at all gross or something one can’t handle. I recommend everyone read this book!